Explorations in Sound
A sound editor program such as Audacity (Runs on Mac/Win/Linux)
to record and import sounds, and mix them down to an MP3 file
You will need to create an account on SoundCloud,
to upload your MP3 files.
PART A: SOUND MACHINE:
What is a machine? I want you to consider a definition of a machine.
Look at the wikipedia entry for a machine.
Could a coffee can filled with nails be a sound machine? How would you make sounds with such a machine? Roll it? Shake it? Hit it? Throw it? How else might you make sounds with this machine?
Create a sound machine that creates a variety of sounds. This can be created out of anything. This can be a physical object, or a virtual machine. Develop a vocabulary of sounds that your machine can make.
Write a 1 minute composition for your machine and record yourself playing this composition. Take a picture of yourself playing your composition.
Write a score of your performance. The methodology you use should make sense to you and your machines capabilites. You will be graded on the aesthetics of your machine, performance and written score.
PART B: SOUND MIX: CUT-UP METHOD / GRADUAL PROCESS
Using Audacity create a 1 minute piece using the recording of your composition from Part A as source material for your own cut-up method / gradual process inspired by this weeks readings. Export as an MP3 file format.
UPLOAD THE WORK TO SOUNDCLOUD AND TO YOUR BLOG:
1. Upload your Part A, one minute composition to your SoundCloud account.
2. Upload your Part B, one minute composition to your SoundCloud account.
3. Upload a photograph of the machine, and your written score to your WordPress blog.
4. Include the URL to both of your MP3 compositions on your blog
5. Upload all source materials, notes, sketches and documentation to your blog.
Audacity Beginner Tutorial